Hercules on Intel Macs

Jay Maynard

Mar 2, 2006

I just fired up Hercules on my shiny new MacBook Pro. It runs fine, but it's
not exactly a speed demon: it runs about 3 MIPS with the Turnkey MVS. I
haven't been successful in compiling natively, either: the compiler emits
invalid x86 assembler in at least one place in esame.c. I don't know how to
work around that, but if I can't, I'll just have to demo at SHARE in slow
mode...
--
Jay Maynard, K5ZC http://www.conmicro.cx
http://www.hercules-390.org (Yes, that's me!)

5:03 pm

Re: Hercules on Intel Macs

Dave

Mar 14, 2006

If you didn't compile natively, were you running the Hercules emulator under the
PPC
Emulator (Rosetta) and getting 3 MIPS? I would hope that once you got a native
Intel binary
of Hercules that you'd see faster MIPS than with the G4 or G5 in your previous
PowerPC Mac.

Were you using Xcode to compile Hercules?
http://developer.apple.com/tools/xcode/index.html

I'll be replacing my G5 with an Intel Mac when Photoshop (my most CPU intensive
app) gets
an Intel binary. Adobe has said they will be taking their sweet a** time about
doing it.

--- In hercules-390@yahoogroups.com, Jay Maynard <jmaynard@...> wrote:

> I just fired up Hercules on my shiny new MacBook Pro. It runs fine, but it's
> not exactly a speed demon: it runs about 3 MIPS with the Turnkey MVS. I
> haven't been successful in compiling natively, either: the compiler emits
> invalid x86 assembler in at least one place in esame.c. I don't know how to
> work around that, but if I can't, I'll just have to demo at SHARE in slow
> mode...

5:49 am

Re: Hercules on Intel Macs

Jay Maynard

Mar 14, 2006

On Tue, Mar 14, 2006 at 05:49:26AM -0000, Dave wrote:
> If you didn't compile natively, were you running the Hercules emulator
> under the PPC Emulator (Rosetta) and getting 3 MIPS? I would hope that
> once you got a native Intel binary of Hercules that you'd see faster MIPS
> than with the G4 or G5 in your previous PowerPC Mac.

Yes, that was under Rosetta.

I've since built it natively (there's a fix required to machdep.c, which is
in current CVS), and gotten about 22 MIPS.

> Were you using Xcode to compile Hercules?
> http://developer.apple.com/tools/xcode/index.html

No. Hercules builds the same way on OS X as it does on other Unix systems,
as a makefile-based gcc compilation.

> I'll be replacing my G5 with an Intel Mac when Photoshop (my most CPU
> intensive app) gets an Intel binary. Adobe has said they will be taking
> their sweet a** time about doing it.

Yeah. Adobe seems to be backing away from the Mac, period.
--
Jay Maynard, K5ZC http://www.conmicro.cx
http://www.hercules-390.org (Yes, that's me!)
Buy Hercules stuff at http://www.cafepress.com/hercules-390