From webmaster at alpine.k12.ut.us  Wed Oct  1 12:07:20 2003
From: webmaster at alpine.k12.ut.us (District Webmaster)
Date: Wed Oct  1 11:05:56 2003
Subject: [uug] Open Source, Open Standards

So I've been thinking about something lately, and I'd like to hear
the list's thoughts on the matter. Bear with me before you get your
flame throwers out . . .

I've been wondering how much the average end user really from Open
Source software -- does the fact that a package is OS make a significant
difference to a person who is not a programmer? Sure -- they could
pay a programmer to do some work for them, but in my experience,
it takes a fairly in-depth understanding of how a package works
before you even know if it _can_ (or ought to) be modified the way
you'd like. And then the cost of paying a programmer to add your
modifications may be prohibitive.

Programmers, on the other hand, should generally have very positive
experiences in their role as OSS end users. They have the knowledge,
means, talent, background, moxie or whatever to modify source code
in meaningful ways.

Now _Open Standards_ on the other hand, seem to be very beneficial to
the average end user. When the end user utilizes file formats, network
protocols, etc. that are based on open standards, they avoid vendor
lock-in. This means the consumer dictates to the vendor what level of
service is required. If the vendor fails to respond satisfactorily,
the consumer can choose another vendor.

Take, for example, Adobe's pdf file format. The software Adobe makes
and sells is proprietary. The pdf format is essentially an open
one because Adobe voluntarily publishes very detailed information
about the format in a timely manner. The result is that a great many
software packages can create pdf files -- and there are also multiple
readers. The fact that none of us has access to Adobe Acrobat's
source code hasn't been a detriment to us -- but the fact that the
pdf standard is (essentially) open, has been a benefit to all of us.

I'm not trying to suggest that open source software isn't important,
or good, or any of that. I'm just wondering if the greater impact
comes from open standards.

Of course, I may be way off track. Please enlighten me.

Dave