From: Jamie Curmi <jamie...@ericsson.com.au>
Subject: Do you remember these games for the TRS-80 Model 1's?
Date: 1999/06/22
Newsgroups: comp.sys.tandy

Hi!

This may not be the newsgroup to post this, but I didn't know where else
to post.  Don't flame me if I'm wrong.

A long time ago I owned a TRS-80 Model 1 (level 2).  I guess my parents
bought it for me back in 1981.  I had quite a few games on this machine.

I'm trying to track down the names of 2 games on this system that I
can't find on any emulation collections.  I'm wondering if someone out
there knows their names?

The first game was like a multi-screen asteroids clone.  You were in the
centre, and you shot at spaceships.  If you put your thrusters on, the
screen around you would scroll (I think there was a map in the right top
corner that showed where you were, where the aliens were etc).  One part
of the playing field had asteroids on it, while the other areas didn't.

I can't recall the aim of the game.  It may have been just to shoot the
alien ships.  I don't think they would follow you into the asteroids.

Any ideas?  It may have been an Australian game - I'm not sure.

The second game I never owned.  A friend and I saw it in a magazine, and
we ordered it, but it never came and the company cashed the cheque and
refused to answer our calls.  So all we ever saw was screen shots in a
magazine advertisement.  Soon after we sold our machines for C64s.

The game appeared to have alien tripods (something like war of the
worlds) in it, and the score was graphics not text (unusual for most
games at the time).  I don't know more than that - I suspect the tripods
moved along on their legs and shot at you, and you were probably a
spaceship.

Does that bring back any memories?

I'd appreciate any help.

Thanks.

Jamie

Pretty sure the first one is Asteroid Nova (sp?) but the other one, I can
check up for you...what magazine did you see them and what year, I have most
TRS-80 magazines so I can have a bit of a hunt for you.

Joanne.

Jamie Curmi wrote in message < 376EE055...@ericsson.com.au>...
>Hi!
>
>This may not be the newsgroup to post this, but I didn't know where else
>to post.  Don't flame me if I'm wrong.
>
>A long time ago I owned a TRS-80 Model 1 (level 2).  I guess my parents
>bought it for me back in 1981.  I had quite a few games on this machine.
>
>I'm trying to track down the names of 2 games on this system that I
>can't find on any emulation collections.  I'm wondering if someone out
>there knows their names?
>
>The first game was like a multi-screen asteroids clone.  You were in the
>centre, and you shot at spaceships.  If you put your thrusters on, the
>screen around you would scroll (I think there was a map in the right top
>corner that showed where you were, where the aliens were etc).  One part
>of the playing field had asteroids on it, while the other areas didn't.
>
>I can't recall the aim of the game.  It may have been just to shoot the
>alien ships.  I don't think they would follow you into the asteroids.
>
>Any ideas?  It may have been an Australian game - I'm not sure.
>
>The second game I never owned.  A friend and I saw it in a magazine, and
>we ordered it, but it never came and the company cashed the cheque and
>refused to answer our calls.  So all we ever saw was screen shots in a
>magazine advertisement.  Soon after we sold our machines for C64s.
>
>The game appeared to have alien tripods (something like war of the
>worlds) in it, and the score was graphics not text (unusual for most
>games at the time).  I don't know more than that - I suspect the tripods
>moved along on their legs and shot at you, and you were probably a
>spaceship.
>
>Does that bring back any memories?
>
>I'd appreciate any help.
>
>Thanks.
>
>Jamie

> Pretty sure the first one is Asteroid Nova (sp?) but the other one, I can
> check up for you...what magazine did you see them and what year, I have most
> TRS-80 magazines so I can have a bit of a hunt for you.
>
> Joanne.

Hi Joanne.

Thank you for that.  I think you are correct about the title of the 1st
one.

The second one we think we saw advertised in APC (Australian Personal
Computer) back in 1982.  I wish I could recall the company...I had a
feeling it was the same company that produced Asteroid Nova.

Thanks for your help.

Jamie

--
.------ ----- ---- --- -- - ---------------- - -- --- ---- ----- ------.
|   Jamie P. Curmi                                                     |

There was also another one called Space Rocks although I can't remember who made
it without going back through a bunch of old Magazines.  I believe that the NOVA was
made by Big Five software.

Jamie Curmi wrote:

> [...]
> > >
> > >The game appeared to have alien tripods (something like war of the
> > >worlds) in it, and the score was graphics not text (unusual for most
> > >games at the time).  I don't know more than that - I suspect the tripods
> > >moved along on their legs and shot at you, and you were probably a
> > >spaceship.
> > >
> > >Does that bring back any memories?
> > >
> > >I'd appreciate any help.
> > >
> > >Thanks.
> > >
> > >Jamie
>
> --
> .------ ----- ---- --- -- - ---------------- - -- --- ---- ----- ------.
> |   Jamie P. Curmi                                                     |
> |   Ericsson Australia (ASAC),      Email: jamie...@ericsson.com.au |
> |   5/207 Bouverie St, Carlton,     Phone: +61 3 9301 1375             |
> |   Victoria, 3053, AUSTRALIA       Fax:   +61 3 9301 1119             |

Robert L. Doerr (MCNE, MCP, A+)
26308 Cubberness
St. Clair Shores, MI 48081
Tel: (810) 777-1313
e-mail: rdo...@home.com
WEB Site: http://www.robotswanted.com
"Keeping Personal Robots alive!"
Heathkit HEROS (Jr, 1, & 2000), Androbots, & MAXX STEELE.