From: dhar...@svcs1.UUCP (David Harris)
Newsgroups: comp.unix.bsd
Subject: Jolitz: The Road Not Taken
Date: 19 Mar 92 08:39:28 GMT

John Sokol asked me (on March 15) to post this message from William Jolitz.
I changed a few cases of 3-character underlining into capitals and removed
excess blank lines to make it more readable online.  I think this story
deserves coverage by computer journalists.  Personal interest and
technical importance are intermingled in this situation.  -Dave Harris

--------------------------- Start --------------------------------------

                     386BSD Release 0.0
                     The Road Not Taken

                     William F. Jolitz

    I shall be telling this with a sigh
    Somewhere ages and ages hence:
    Two roads diverged in a wood,
            and I ---
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference.
       "The Road Not Taken" [1916] -- Robert Frost

     386BSD Release 0.0 has been greatly  motivated  by  the
frustrations  of  many  who have written and phoned me about
their inability to obtain access to 386BSD, whether licensed
or  not.  I  had hoped that through the groups I was working
with, interested parties could have access to SUPPORTED ver-
sions of 386BSD, but this was not to be.

     So, in making a break with the past,  I  paused  in  my
series of 386BSD porting articles, took the unencumbered but
incomplete NET/2 kernel available from UC Berkeley, and fin-
ished  the  missing pieces necessary to make a bootable run-
ning kernel  that  provides  a  self-supporting  development
environment.  In  describing  this process (see DDJ May-June
1992), as well as providing the actual source code,  I  hope
this  will  finally break the logjam that has frustrated and
perplexed our many readers.

     In 1989, when Lynne and I began  this  project,  386BSD
was simply intended to be a port of BSD to the 386. While we
did not wish to add to anyone's proprietary license revenues
by  folding in new encumbered code (especially pertaining to
the 386), removing or redesigning new code  to  replace  old
encumbered  code was out of the scope of this project. Since
I was willing  to  work  gratis  on  386BSD  (preparing  the
specification,  supplying  the  initial equipment, obtaining
equipment and support from  companies  such  as  Compaq  and
Cyrix,  and  doing  the actual port), making an unencumbered
version was simply impossible.

     After Lynne and I contributed 386BSD to UCB in December
of  1990,  the  UCB  CSRG staff seriously began to set their
sights on releasing only unencumbered code.  It was quite  a
chore  for us to continually revise and improve 386BSD while
updating it to match the new work done by CSRG and other UCB
staff. The result was the UCB NET/2 release.

     What we've since learned from this experience,  to  our
sorrow,  is  that  once  anyone  starts  down  the  track to
providing a broadly accessible system, aberrations, such  as
delusions of profit and glory, cannot be allowed to blur the
goal. This rule holds no matter how well-meaning the motiva-
tions of other people appear.

     After NET/2 came out, I was  willing  to  go  to  great
lengths  to  help  my  "friends" at CSRG -- Mike Karels, the
Best Man at my wedding and to whom  I  introduced  the  UNIX
kernel some 12 years ago, Keith Bostic, and Kirk McKusick --
pull some success and profit out of the years of  work  they
had put into BSD. In Mike's case, he had earlier invested in
a company I founded many years ago, and he said I "owed him"
the opportunity to help him build his own company.  I am not
trying to say that I was unusually naive  or  altruistic.  I
simply believe that you should help your friends to the best
of your abilities, and that they in  turn  should  help  you
when you need it.

     However, friendship has obligations  and  responsibili-
ties  as  well.  You do not lie to your friends.  You do not
demand that your friends act  unethically  or  immorally  to
accomplish a goal. You do not abdicate your responsibilities
to other people, such as the  students  and  professors  who
require  this  system  to  teach, even though it might be to
your immediate advantage. In the process of taking the  easy
road,  the  friendship will inevitably be destroyed. Is any-
thing worth this price? I don't think so.

     I began to notice that the original point in doing this
work  had  become  lost, and that things were getting wildly
out of control.  An insatiable desire for power  and  wealth
had  begun to distort the entire BSD research project, and I
felt I had to put the value of 386BSD back into perspective.
I spent many months trying to resolve my growing differences
with CSRG in an appropriate and quiet fashion.   After  all,
they were my friends.

     Unfortunately, after a 15-year work association,  three
years  of  work  on this project, and a long friendship, the
culmination of my efforts was a slew of  cancelled  accounts
and  a  letter  from  CSRG  unilaterally cancelling Berkeley
involvement in 386BSD, and claiming all the work that I  had
contributed   to   Berkeley   since   NET/2  as  "University
proprietary".

     I had anticipated even  before  receiving  this  letter
that  I  might be forced to take a different road -- the one
less traveled -- and had planned accordingly.  I  had  known
that  this would not be easy -- it required me at the end of
November 1991 to erase all of my work on 4.4BSD, take a copy
of  the  original unencumbered NET/2 release, and start from
scratch to make 386BSD Release 0.0.  I had to,  in  essence,
abandon all my previous work with CSRG.

     I realized that my family would  suffer  personally  by
this stance.  It was not easy to hear my little daughter say
"Daddy, I liked Mike and Keith and Kirk. Why don't they like
us  anymore?"   It  was not easy to see long-time friends at
USENIX catch a glimpse of me, turn, and run in the  opposite
direction  for  fear of being seen talking to me. It was not
easy to find my University associates putting  my  new  pro-
jects  "on  hold", even though they told me that they really
didn't believe any of those nasty rumors  circulating  about
my  character  or work on 386BSD. It has been quite a strain
these last months enduring these indignities in silence  and
focussing on completing my goals.

     But I cannot distort my values and  ethics  and  ignore
the  needs  of others simply to suit the whims of a few. One
must always strive to "do the right thing", no  matter  what
the  personal consequences.  As the proverb goes: "What pro-
fits a man if he gains the world and loses his soul?"

     And now, since CSRG has  stated  in  writing  that  the
386BSD  project  will  not  be  continued  at  Berkeley (not
surprising, given I was the  only  one  who  maintained  the
machines  and  the 386BSD code), I have no choice but to GO
IT-ALONE and get this system out-the-door  to  the  tens-of-
thousands  of  people  who need an experimental research and
educational system. Otherwise, they  would  continue  to  be
denied  access  by CSRG to either a licensed or unencumbered
version of 386BSD from UCB, and instead be forced to pay for
a  version  of  my  work  from  a  firm in which they have a
private interest.  I have been  fortunate  in  finding  many
others  who  believe in the goals of 386BSD, and who are now
spending a great deal of time and effort getting it  out  to
everyone who desires a copy.

     The purpose of the 386BSD project remains the same:  so
students,  faculty,  staff, and researchers can use BSD on a
simple and inexpensive platform.  And now,  since  few  have
been able to obtain a licensed version from UCB (and none an
unencumbered version), I have made 386BSD Release 0.0 avail-
able  with public access sources.  I intend to maintain both
source and binary versions of 386BSD for some time to  come.
And, since the Berkeley CSRG has abandoned 386BSD, I am wil-
ling to contribute my 386BSD work to other University groups
in  order  to  facilitate  the establishment of "new" 386BSD
projects elsewhere. 386BSD Release 0.0 is only  a  beginning
-- not an end.

     Despite my unpleasant experience with CSRG, I have con-
tinued  my  efforts  to "do the right thing" by offering the
CSRG Faculty Advisor, Professor  Susan  Graham,  the  386BSD
Release  0.0 changes for immediate release from Berkeley, so
that the conflict-of-interest charges and other issues would
become  moot, and so that the Berkeley EECS Department would
not suffer further embarrassment in this  matter.   I  think
many  in  the  academic community would find it fitting that
386BSD be available from the University where the  BSD  pro-
ject  began.   I  myself  believe that the BSD tradition has
been a venerable one, and I would like to see  it  honorably
continue.

     In any event,  Lynne  and  I  intend  to  hold  to  the
"spirit"  of what the 386BSD project is really all about. It
is not about writing a few lines of source code, or  obtain-
ing  a  cheap operating system to diddle, or even building a
mini-AT&T to entangle you in proprietary license agreements.
386BSD is an attempt to allow new possibilities and alterna-
tive approaches in an industry that has become moribund. You
can  use  it,  or  not. But remember, someone worked hard to
give you the CHOICE.  Use it wisely.