From: p...@aleph.UUCP (Paul Fronberg)
Newsgroups: ba.seminars,comp.unix.bsd,comp.unix.sysv386,comp.unix.internals,
comp.unix.programmer,comp.os.minix,comp.os.linux,comp.sys.sun.misc
Subject: SVNet meeting, December 9th: 4.4BSD updata and status
Date: 28 Nov 92 17:26:55 GMT

               SVNet Meeting --  Wednesday, December 9, 1992
            NOTE:  Our programs are FREE and OPEN TO THE PUBLIC!

       ||                                                     ||
       ||                      4.4BSD                         ||
       ||            Is There Life after Reno ??              ||
       ||_____________________________________________________||

TOPIC:  4.4BSD - Progress Since Reno

      This talk will provide a brief overview of work in progress at
      Berkeley since the release of 4.3BSD-Reno in April, 1990, and
      NET/2 in June of 1991, with an emphasis on features that are
      available in 4.4BSD.  Among these changes are a log-structured
      file system, 64-bit files, new interfaces for getting and setting
      kernel information, and the addition of database access methods.
      Also, a survey of the extensive changes in the applications layer
      will be presented, including the addition of more freely
      redistributable software.

WHO:  Keith Bostic, UCB CSRG

      Keith Bostic has been a member of the Berkeley Computer Systems
      Research Group (CSRG) since 1986.  In this capacity, he was the
      principle architect of the 2.10BSD release of the Berkeley
      Software Distribution for PDP-11's.  He is currently one of the
      two principal developers in the CSRG, continuing the development
      of future versions of Berkeley UNIX.

      He received his undergraduate degree in Statistics and his Masters
      degree in Electrical Engineering from George Washington
      University.  He is a member of the ACM, the IEEE and several POSIX
      working groups.

WHEN: WEDNESDAY, December 9, 7:30pm

PLACE: Sun Bldg 6, Stanford Room, off Garcia Ave in Mountain View
    (take Amphitheatre Way exit off Highway 101, turn left on Garcia)

      Behind Bldg 5 - look for Bldg 5 and then the sign on Garcia for
      Bldg 6 - officially, 2750 Coast Avenue, but Coast Ave looks like
      a driveway between the buildings!

Coming Soon:        January - John Farrell on Software Patents
                    February - Pacific Data on Computer Animation
                    March - Bill Jolitz, Updates on 386BSD

FOR MORE INFORMATION, PLEASE CONTACT:

                        Paul Fronberg (408) 246-1132 (evenings) or
                                      (408) 276-7102 (days)

   UNIX is a registered trademark of UNIX System Laboratories, Inc.
       SVNet is supported by annual membership fees and donations

NOTE:   Paul Fronberg will have copies of the slides from the November
        threads talk at the December meeting.

Please Post                                                  Please Post

                      Expanded Map to Sun Building MTV6

SVNet now meets at Sun Microsystems
2750 Coast Avenue, Building 6  -------|
off Garcia Avenue in Mountain View    |

                                      |       to Shoreline Park
                          |  | 6 | <---
                          |                 //
             Garcia Ave   |  | 5 |         //
 S  ||     ================================||
 a  ||     ||                              || <- Amphitheatre Pkwy
 n  || \   ||                              ||
    ||  \  ||                              ||    Moffett Field ----->
    ||   \ ================================||======= frontage rd
       Bayshore Freeway
    ||                                     || R
  A ||                                     || e
  n ||                                     || n
  t ||                                     || g
  o ||                                     || s
  n ||                                     || t
  i ||                                     || o
  o ||                                     || r
    ||                                     || f
    ||                                     || f

-=-=-=-=--=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=--=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
-=-=-=-=--=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=--=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

                  parking
                  | ^>>> |    BUILDING 6        |         |
                  | ^    |                      |         |
                  | ^    +----------------------+         |
                  | ^           parking         parking   |
                  | ^                                     |
                  | ^    +----------------------+         |
                  | ^    |                      |         |
                  | ^   ~~~                    ~~~        |
                  | ^    |     BUILDING 5       |         |
                  | ^    |                      |     ________ sculpture??
SF        turn here +     |   GARCIA  AVE.                              SJ
                          ^
			tombstone (unlit) "building 1&6"

	Note turn in driveway as indicated above.