From: g...@soda.berkeley.edu (George William Herbert)
Newsgroups: alt.suit.att-bsdi,comp.unix.bsd
Subject: Re: UC Berkeley Embroiled in Computer Software Lawsuit
Date: 29 Jan 1993 18:41:51 GMT
Sender: g...@soda.berkeley.edu

In article <1993Jan27.215738.12...@igor.tamri.com> jb...@igor.tamri.com (John Bass)
writes:
>I picked 3 of the many postings and letters to respond to. If this doesn't
>get the point across we will have to start the trial here by taking each
>and every source module and picking it apart until people get the idea
>that Berkeley screwed up big time.

Please do so.  I'm not going to be personally satisfied until
I see this sort of evidence, and lacking any access to AT&T source,
I can't do it myself.

>Unfortunately, it appears that most the respondants are to young to have
>any actual memory of the events first hand ... and are just parroting
>the folklore they have learned.

Ad homoneim, John.  Stick to either facts or philosophy of intellectual
protection.

>Many of the others just lack critical thinking and social skills necessary
>to properly evalutate to issues and respond in a responsible way.

See above.

>Protection of these rights is absolutely necessary to protect not only
>the computer industry, but the entire technical, information, publishing
>and entertainment industries as well. No matter how much the newbies want
>free/low cost UNIX, 386BSD is a direct violation of AT&T/USL property
>rights.
>
>To strip AT&T of the right to protect it's UNIX property is wrong, no matter
>how much you may hate AT&T or the Bell System. To bully their employees,
>or picket their booths or offices, or any other action regarding their
>attempt to protect their investment of more than 10,000 man years and
>$5,000,000,000 expenses to develop, support, and market this product --
>is simply as flawed and wrong as the UCB team that plagiarized UNIX
>components for the Net2 and 386BSD releases. UCB has not, will not, can
>not EVER invest this amount of man power or dollars to make a software
>product -- if not for any other reason than the people of California will
>not allow their taxes to be spent competing unfairly with private business.

John, I hereby challenge you to demonstrate publically that any
code from Berkeley's Net/2 distribution is close enough to any
AT&T version that it's plagarism and copyright infringement.

Note that "general form" wont' cut it, under any interpretation
of copyright law as I understand it.  I want to see procedures
that are the exact same, or just have had variable names altered,
or something similar.  Or a damn good argument as to why two
pieces of code that do the same thing, but are written from scratch
by two seperate people at different places, are covered under one
copyright, and examples thereof.

Even more annoying is your insistance that UCB computer science
graduates might be "tainted" by the "blatant CSRG copyright violations",
especially since you at the same time are insisting that holding
USL employees to task for what we believe are wrongdoings of their
company is morally wrong.  I smell a significant morality
bias here, and I don't like it.

And, as to wether UCB has ever invested the manpower to build
software products, well, you're wrong.  I can think of a couple
off the top of my head.  Sounds to me like you're speaking from a position
of ignorance about UCB's activities over the last fifteen years.

There are perfectly professional ways to argue USL's case; so far,
you aren't doing any of them.  You allege that USL is right, but
refused to provide the evidence that, if provided, WILL change at
least my (and almost certainly every other rational Usenet readers)
opinion on the case.  The evidence will come out sooner or later
and I'd prefer it be sooner; either CSRG lied about legally making
BSD AT&T-Free, or USL is lying about how close the similarities are.
In either case, some pretty serious shit is going to come down
on someone when the evidence is available.  The code will tell,
but as of yet it hasn't.  So let the code speak.

-george william herbert
g...@lurnix.com  g...@soda.berkeley.edu

>>I picked 3 of the many postings and letters to respond to. If this doesn't
>>get the point across we will have to start the trial here by taking each
>>and every source module and picking it apart until people get the idea
>>that Berkeley screwed up big time.
>
>Please do so.  I'm not going to be personally satisfied until
>I see this sort of evidence, and lacking any access to AT&T source,
>I can't do it myself.

Ok ... here goes a series of postings over the next couple weeks or so,
but first I need to respond to a few preliminary jabs ...

>>Unfortunately, it appears that most the respondants are to young to have
>>any actual memory of the events first hand ... and are just parroting
>>the folklore they have learned.
>
>Ad homoneim, John.  Stick to either facts or philosophy of intellectual
>protection.

This unfortunately is simple fact ... 90% of the postings in support of UCB
contain serious mis-representations of either fact and/or history. You strongly
support UCB and claim they have done no wrong ... but then attempt to claim
"lacking any access to AT&T source, I can't do it (prove UCB justified) myself".

Testimony presenting evidence requires first hand knowledge, not hearsay.

Anyone doing a followup posting to the following chain of postings should
clearly state their credentials so that our network jury can separate and
weigh the testimony and evidence to be presented in the postings which follow.

Clearly state your:

	1) name
	2) Age
	3) Formal Training
	4) Industry experience
	5) degree of UNIX source code knowledge
	6) degree of BACH textbook knowledge

My Name is John Bass, I'm 41 and hold a degree in Computer Science from
CalPoly State Univ, San Luis Obispo, California.  I have been working in
the industry since 1968 and have been doing UNIX systems programming since
1975.  I have done two UNIX cross architecture ports of the UNIX Operating
System largely by myself (compiler and non-OS work done by other members of
the team), and have direct UNIX internals source experience with 11 other UNIX
ports. My last three years were spent at SCO working with source for
XENIX, SCO UNIX/ODT, AT&T/USL, MIPS and OSF. I have read/reviewed most of
the Bach book.

I present my facts and arguments as an "expert witness". I have no conflict
of interest ... I have no past or current relationship with UCB, USL, BSDI
or any other party named or part of the official legal proceedings.

If you have a rebuttal to any FACT, present only FACTS which you have
either first hand experience with, or cite the published/written reference
you base your argument on. Do not post "I think" or "I feel" arguments.

>>Protection of these rights is absolutely necessary to protect not only
>>the computer industry, but the entire technical, information, publishing
>>and entertainment industries as well. No matter how much the newbies want
>>free/low cost UNIX, 386BSD is a direct violation of AT&T/USL property
>>rights.
>>
>>To strip AT&T of the right to protect it's UNIX property is wrong, no matter
>>how much you may hate AT&T or the Bell System. To bully their employees,
>>or picket their booths or offices, or any other action regarding their
>>attempt to protect their investment of more than 10,000 man years and
>>$5,000,000,000 expenses to develop, support, and market this product --
>>is simply as flawed and wrong as the UCB team that plagiarized UNIX
>>components for the Net2 and 386BSD releases. UCB has not, will not, can
>>not EVER invest this amount of man power or dollars to make a software
>>product -- if not for any other reason than the people of California will
>>not allow their taxes to be spent competing unfairly with private business.
>
>John, I hereby challenge you to demonstrate publically that any
>code from Berkeley's Net/2 distribution is close enough to any
>AT&T version that it's plagarism and copyright infringement.

I love a challenge and debate.

To examine source code, we will need to introduce several virgin UNIX
source files into evidence ... Would AT&T/USL please help this forum by
posting (introducing into evidence) the V7/32V source modules for the bio,
clock and tty services. In addition would I would like a copyright release
for using the Bach puesdocode descriptions corresponding to bio, clock, and
tty services for discussion in this forum. The V7/32V source modules and
Bach puedocode posted into this news group should be clearly identified,
with copyright and the restriction that the modules are only to be used
for discussion inside this newsgroup -- IE. they are not to be copied outside
this news group and/or used for any other purpose.

While the plagiarism and violation of AT&T/USL rights is not limited
to these three modules ... they do represent clearly the degree that UCB
violated AT&T UNIX code rights.

  Stand by ... continued to next posting

John Bass
DMS Design

>Note that "general form" wont' cut it, under any interpretation
>of copyright law as I understand it.  I want to see procedures
>that are the exact same, or just have had variable names altered,
>or something similar.  Or a damn good argument as to why two
>pieces of code that do the same thing, but are written from scratch
>by two seperate people at different places, are covered under one
>copyright, and examples thereof.

A number of people have taken this stand, and they clearly fail to
understand what the copyright law and corresponding case law do and
don't protect.  Presenting this in it's entirety would take many
hundreds of pages ... the summary that follows is to my best
understanding accurate:

Taken from "Numerical recipes in C", copyright Cambridge University Press
1988, preface page xv, which is a book of algorithms and they address the
issue of use carefully:

	"Like artistic or literary compositions, computer programs can be
	protected by copyright.  Generally it is an infringement for you
	to copy into your computer a program from a copyrighted source. It
	is also not a friendly thing to do, since it deprives the program's
	author of compensation for his or her creative effort.  Although
	this book and its programs are copyrighted, we specifically authorize
	you, a reader of the book, to make one machine-readable copy of each
	program for your own use.  You may wish to consider purchasing this
	book's collected programs in one of the machine-readable formats that
	are available (see front of book). Distribution of the machine-readable
	programs (either as copied by you or as purchased) to any other person
	is not authorized.

	"Copyright does not protect ideas, but only the expression of those
	ideas in a particular form. In the case of a computer program, the
	ideas consist of the programs's methodology and algorithm, including
	the sequence of processes adopted by the programmer. The expression
	ideas is the program source code and it's derived object code.

	"If you analyze the ideas contained in a program, and then express
	those ideas in your own distinct implementation, then that new program
	implementation belongs to you. ...

	"The fact that ideas are legally "free as air" in no way supersedes
	ethical requirement that ideas be credited to their known originators.
	... "

Sentence one accurately reflects a framework for "fair-use" of material
presented any book.

Sentence two accurately represents "ownership" under current case law,
"methodology, algorithms, and sequence of processes". To translate the
methodology, algorithms, and sequence of processes into any other form
does not change the ownership.  This means between puesdo code, english,
C, or any other languague - human or machine readable.

Sentence three represents **part** of the requirements to distinguish
ownership. Additional case law imparts more requirements for reverse
engineering of major works ... those works that extend beyond a simple
collection of ideas.

Sentence four imparts the ethical requirements that go beyond case law,
and that nearly every research community strictly requires. This is
the simple protection from plagiarizm.

I will later show that Net-2 and 386BSD release by UCB violates the
AT&T ownership by maintaining the same "methodology, algorithms and
sequence of processes" in nearly all of the code cloned from both
UNIX source and Bach puedocode.

In turn, this will show that UCB both violates the AT&T Source License
agreement and the Bach copyright, including any possible fair-use. In
addition it will be shown that UCB directly used the AT&T design, both
source code and Bach, without crediting the source of the "methodology,
algorithms, and sequence of processes" - which is blatantly simple
plagiarizm by any definition in the research community.

*** In the mean time, I urge readers to review the above, find your own
copy of Bach and examine the clock, tty and bio code in 386BSD. ****

.... now as an aside, I will respond to a couple more jabs ....

Every CS faculty member should fully understand the above, as well
as standards for plagiarism ... long before they managed to get their
PhD. Every CS student should understand this as well prior to entering
the work place. This is not a minor issue to ignore ... and the
general tone of the postings up to this point (including rebuttals to
my postings) show a lack of understanding of software ownership.

In article <1kbtpf$...@agate.berkeley.edu> g...@soda.berkeley.edu
(George William Herbert) writes:
>Even more annoying is your insistance that UCB computer science
>graduates might be "tainted" by the "blatant CSRG copyright violations",
>especially since you at the same time are insisting that holding
>USL employees to task for what we believe are wrongdoings of their
>company is morally wrong.  I smell a significant morality
>bias here, and I don't like it.

First of all, I made no such claim that "graduates might be `tainted'".
What I did say was:

	"I think hiring managers should be boycot hiring UCB grads until
	they clean up their act on plagiarism and require all existing
	students to attend a class on intelectual property rights.

	"I also think that all faculty, staff, and student assistants that
	participated and/or condoned this piracy should be removed or
	severely disciplined."

Since UCB faculty and staff are attempting to ignore their plagiarism,
then it's time to enforce what are considered to be acceptable limits,
and make sure the students that take their side "as the truth" are
properly "informed" in what the rest of the research community and
commercial work places EXPECT. Given both your response, and those
from a number of other UCB students (as well as students from other
campus sites), it is clear that many of you have views which are
counter to either Law or Practice.  As stated by one recient graduate:

	"I just wanted to thank you for your recent posting to
	alt.suit.att-bsdi.  As a fairly recent CS grad I had a
	very distorted (biased) view of the BSD<->ATT relationship.
	While I disagree with some of what you said, and want to
	disagree with more you have, however, painted a fairly clear
	picture of the facts.

	"An ethics class would be a good idea in any CS curriculum,
	CS majors seem to play a little fast and loose with other
	people's work (just a personal observation)."

People boycot the products and services of organizations ALL THE TIME
to provide social and economic presure on the org. This causes employees
to loose their jobs/raises all the time ... and is one of the desired
personal costs to make life difficult for management inside the org.
Unions take this one step farther and directly hasle other union workers
that cross the picket line. To boycot UCB, is to boycot it's products
-- graduates -- making students directly aware and involved in the
process will not only reduce it's admission applications, but place
presure on the administration to stop stalling and resolve the dispute.
It also sends the clear message that plagiarism is not acceptable in
either school or industry.

Management under current business law can and are held directly
responsible for their actions in a vast number of crimes.
Unfortunately, this same access is missing go after to government
management. In this case individuals broke the law, with forethought,
knowing that at worst they would loose their job. Had the same occured
in business, the corporate exec's and middle management could have
been held directly responsible -- that gives them the urge to
CYA and keep tabs on things below. In this case, no one can be, just
the State of Calif/UCB -- leads to selective blindness and I didn't
knows.

In naming UCB in the BSDI suit, USL did not ask for damages from
UCB, just a simple acknowledgement that UCB violated AT&T/USL rights.
AT&T/USL could have, and may yet, get mad enough at UCB to ask
for damages.

John Bass
DMS Design

>And, as to wether UCB has ever invested the manpower to build
>software products, well, you're wrong.  I can think of a couple
>off the top of my head.  Sounds to me like you're speaking from a position
>of ignorance about UCB's activities over the last fifteen years.

Again ... if you wish to quote me do so, but don't put words into my
mouth. What I said was:

	"To strip AT&T of the right to protect it's UNIX property is wrong,
	no matter how much you may hate AT&T or the Bell System. To bully
	their employees, or picket their booths or offices, or any other
	action regarding their attempt to protect their investment of more
	than 10,000 man years and $5,000,000,000 expenses to develop,
	support, and market this product -- is simply as flawed and wrong
	as the UCB team that plagiarized UNIX components for the Net2 and
	386BSD releases. UCB has not, will not, can not EVER invest this
	amount of man power or dollars to make a software product -- if
	not for any other reason than the people of California will
	not allow their taxes to be spent competing unfairly with private
	business."

Now I am not aware, nor are the people of California, that UCB has the
extra funds available to launch a product development of the Billion Dollar
size.  I would think that after all the budget cuts, UCB should be focusing
it's funding on training students, not competing unfairly with private
business.

The point is two fold:

	1) AT&T has a serious interest in the UNIX product and has brought
	to bear funding which forms an investment that should be allowed
	to yeild dividends for it's stockholders (who are largely common
	folk -- or the pension funds of common folk).

	2) UCB's entire development effort represents about 1% of the AT&T
	development effort. The PRODUCT IS AT&T's ... UCB's efforts are
	a minor project in the grand scheme of things.

>There are perfectly professional ways to argue USL's case; so far,
>you aren't doing any of them.  You allege that USL is right, but
>refused to provide the evidence that, if provided, WILL change at
>least my (and almost certainly every other rational Usenet readers)
>opinion on the case.  The evidence will come out sooner or later
>and I'd prefer it be sooner; either CSRG lied about legally making
>BSD AT&T-Free, or USL is lying about how close the similarities are.
>In either case, some pretty serious shit is going to come down
>on someone when the evidence is available.  The code will tell,
>but as of yet it hasn't.  So let the code speak.
>
>-george william herbert
>g...@lurnix.com  g...@soda.berkeley.edu

Actually what I have done so far, is declare "the emperor has no clothes" to
the loyal UCB followers, and got flamed at. I have stated that IF you take
the time you will find a serious connection between Bach and 386BSD, and
in addition, have stated my first hand observations about such. This is
hardly a refusal to provide evidence.

I did not notice you requiring the same level of "professionalism" on the
loyal UCB flaming team.

To go beyond this requires introducing AT&T copyrighted matter into my
postings ... which would make me nearly as guilty as UCB and give people
a real reason to flame me ... as well as piss off AT&T.

If AT&T/USL is willing to support their defense in this forum, I expect
we will see a posting of the requested source modules and a public release
to use selected Bach pseudocode (happy David?) in this discussion ...
hopefully within a few days.

For those of you without 386BSD sources,

	1) you may uucp the interesting parts from uunet archives.

	2) you may ftp agate.berkeley.edu from a 386/486 UNIX box
		cd into pub/386BSD/386bsd-0.1/srcdist
		mget the entire directory
		cat src01.?? | compress -d | cpio -idumv

Extracting the files on other than a 386/486 port may prove interesting
due to byte/word swap problems.

Mean while, those of you that have/had AT&T source access to the V7 kernel,
please follow along with my introduction to 386bsd standalone code. This
code represents strong prior knowledge of AT&T UNIX source, and at the very
best is in the heavily tainted gray area.

One of the curious features of a unix system is the bootstrap sequence,
as briefly mentioned in Bach on Page 235. There are few other references
in the literature to base any design decisions on. This code is what
you could call very obscure at best.  There is a simplistic syncronous
driver design interfaced via the bdevsw using iob structures with a UNIX
like API.

UCB 386BSD manages to replicate the design with important parts of the
original AT&T UNIX structure intact.  This was not an accident since the
AT&T functionality in the stand library is more than is simply required by
boot to load /unix. The re-write is largely different only by the choice
of the API ... using namei instead of open, and iread instead of read.

Now these iob structures are a lot like UNIX buf structures ... and many of
us always wondered why they were not called buf structures too ... it is
more curious that the UCB 386BSD code follows this variable naming as well,
something that forms a very distinctive "finger print" suggesting a
re-write and not a new design. Ditto with the variable names inside the
iob structure, choice of bdevsw structure, choice of including little
known utilities like cat ... which would have more naturally been special
cased inside the command line code of boot. Then there is the name of the
include file .... "saio.h"

Now in the UCB 386BSD re-write they were careful to not directly use the
AT&T API or other common UNIX standalone procedure/variable names and
re-org'ed the code to make it "look different". But it is close enough that
without all the UCB copyrights, a UNIX person familar with boot that hasn't
seen the AT&T code for 6 months, might well mistake major parts of the
BSD code as AT&T code.

Now this is a case where:

	A) there is no public document which describes the internals of boot
	   at this level of detail that I am aware of.

	B) the choice of design, structure, and variables follow UNIX source
	   code suggesting that whoever "re-wrote" it, was staring at the
	   UNIX standalone sources, or had a damn good memory of it.

It is not a case where two students without UNIX source access were just
given the task of designing a new boot. There are simpler ways of reaching
that goal.

Nowhere in this code is a comment that say's this code is derived from
or is patterned after the rather novel UNIX standalone library. No credit
what-so-ever is given to the orignal BTL designer or AT&T/USL.

No other operating system I am aware of has a boot designed like this ...
for the UCB 386BSD design to follow the AT&T design closely, indicates
plagiarizm based upon prior/concurrent source code access. It clearly
contains the same "methodology and algorithms, including the sequence of
processes adopted by the programmer" which is the test by which we must
judge.

If there is anyone out there with UNIX AT&T source for stand that sees
this differently, please make a case for how the UCB standalone design
is significantly different and novel. Do not post AT&T source ... assume
our reader jurors have it, but provide detailed explainations of how you
form the opinion that it was not derived from AT&T source. Please be sure
to provide public references that can explain the detailed design choices
used to re-write boot, without having AT&T source access or design knowledge.

More to follow ... hopefully AT&T will post the requested source modules
so we can get a little more detailed for you non-unix source people.

stay tuned ...

John Bass
DMS Design