From: kols...@BSDI.COM (Rob Kolstad)
Newsgroups: info.bsdi.users
Subject: About the Legal Settlement
Date: 8 Feb 94 21:39:25 GMT
Originator: dae...@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu

This broadcast message addresses many of the questions that have arrived
in my mailbox in the last few days.

Q:  After this lawsuit resolution, is BSDI still in business?
A:  You bet.  And we're shipping 1.1 early next week.

Q:  The press release was unclear, do I get to keep my current copy
    of BSD/386?
A:  The answer is yes!  BSDI is not recalling prior versions.
    Any USA domestic customer whose support was valid through December,
    1993 will be shipped the new V1.1 release.  I will be mailing a paper
    letter to each USA domestic customer detailing their service contract
    status and verifying the V1.1 shipping address.

Q:  What's all this about `binary-only files'?  Will BSDI continue to
    ship source code?
A:  For Version 1.1 only, BSDI will ship the following kernel files
    in binary format:

	kern/init_main.c	kern/subr_rmap.c	ufs/ufs_bmap.c
	kern/kern_clock.c	kern/sys_generic.c	ufs/ufs_disksubr.c
	kern/kern_exit.c	kern/sys_process.c	ufs/ufs_inode.c
	kern/kern_physio.c	kern/tty.c		ufs/ufs_vnops.c
	kern/kern_sig.c		kern/tty_subr.c
	kern/kern_synch.c	kern/vfs_syscalls.c

    Our 4.4Lite-based release will again include the entire source tree
    (with the exception of a tiny number of device drivers whose
    interfaces are kept confidential at the request of their
    manufacturer).

Q:  Will BSD/386 V1.1 have lots of 4.4Lite BSD code in it?
A:  Nope.  4.4Lite is not yet released, though I hear it will be available
    soon.  The next release should have significant 4.4BSD code in it.  My
    initial statement about ``immediately beginning work on'' 4.4 was too
    enthusiastic -- we can't start on that until the code is released from
    UCB.  We'll do our best to base the next release on 4.4BSD.

Q:  What neat things does 4.4BSD have?
A:  Berkeley improvements since Net/2, our code base and the predecessor
    to 4.4, include:  improved filesystem throughput (through clustering),
    availability of a log-based filesystem, stackable file systems (which
    ease filesystem development), and networking code improvements.

Q:  Wow, will you be making so many kernel modifications that the
    reliability of the operating system will decline?
A:  I do not anticipate any reliability problems as we move forward.
    Most of the reliability improvements for Net/2 were 386-specific;
    we'll be keeping those.  The system architectures are, of course,
    quite similar.

Q:  Can you tell me more about the settlement?  What happened?