From: "Frank C. Garber" <garbe...@coolsite.net>
Subject: Microsoft monopoly threatens consumer buying choices
Date: 1997/08/12
Newsgroups: comp.lang.c,microsoft.public.vc.events,comp.lang.java.advocacy,
comp.lang.c++,comp.lang.java,symantec.support.devtools.pc.visual-cafe.java

Boycott Microsoft

Full story: http://www.vcnet.com/bms/default.html

Excerpt:
Microsoft's strategy includes giving away its competing product,
providing exclusive free access to information, offering content which
can
only be viewed with their browser, and supporting this product
give-away program with a massive national advertising campaign.
Microsoft understands that none of its competitors can afford to give
away products that cost millions of dollars to manufacture. In any other
industry, selling products at a loss for the purpose of driving another
company out of business would be instantly disallowed as "dumping."
Why should this industry be treated differently?

Lest you mistake their purpose, Microsoft is amazingly candid about the
consumer-defeating designs of its Internet Explorer scheme. Said Steve
Ballmer, Microsoft's vice president of sales, "We're giving away a
pretty
good browser as part of the operating system. How long can they
survive selling it?" [Forbes, 27 Jan 1997]