From: a...@fwi.uva.nl (Arie Maaskant)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Linux is NOT a real alternative for DOS in it's present state !!!
Date: 24 Jan 1995 17:10:30 +0100

 I use a Linux-system at home and I am very statisfied with it. However I am
used to work on Unix-systems for more then 10 years now.

 However I do not think, that Linux is a real alternative for DOS users, that
are totally dependent of their system in a production environment. The most
important commercial software can be run on older DOS-versions then the latest
ones. Company's that make software should be stupid otherwise.

The last time I bought a CD with Linux on it, was Oktober 94 ( so only 3 months
ago ). It had the kernelversion 1.0.9 on it. However I had also an MSDOS
partition on it ( doublespaced ) and wanted to be able to read this partition
too. Well, one needs a kernel higher then app. 1.1.18. If you want to use
DOS under Linux, you'd better use a higher version then app. 1.1.60.
These are only two examples.

 As a matter of fact one needs to use the latest kernel, to be sure to be
able to run the last applications. For an average DOS user, it is NOT
realistic to upgrade the kernel every day.

 My 2 advises:
1) There should be a stable kernel for approximately one year. It is not
necessary that it supports all the latest hardware. The average user
is only interested in newer/fancier/faster etc. hardware when there
is a stable and bugfree kernel for it. So if you want a stable Linux
system then take a selection out of the hardwarelist, that belongs
to the last stable kernel.

2) Now the more important thing I think. All the applications, that are made
for Linux, should run and should be able to compile on this last stable
Linux version and not only on some experimental version, that changes
every day. If there are applications made for newer versions, they
should be called "testversions" or "betaversions" or whatever. The
average DOS users, that want to be converted to Linux could avoid these
versions or jump on the bandwagon of the everchanging kernel.:{

These betaversions can only be called "official" versions, when there
arrives a new "stable" kernel.

To convince a DOS user to try Linux, one should offer him a ( minimal )
and STABLE system ( including applications ), or else Linux stays a
system for hobbiests. ( AND A VERY GOOD SYSTEM, I DON'T WANT TO BE
MISUNDERSTOOD :-)
--
Arie Maaskant			University of Amsterdam
Email: a...@fwi.uva.nl		Faculty of mathmatics and computer sciences